simplyn2deep: (Default)
[personal profile] simplyn2deep
This is the first actual week of the 20th anniversary of [community profile] therealljidol . The topic?

Open Topic.

Anything my heart and brain desire.

So, naturally, let’s talk LEADERSHIP.

Holy cow, has this topic been coming up in aces and spades for me over the past few months. Actually, I can take it back even further to April or May 2025.

No, wait.

January 2014.

Apparently, for more than a decade now, this whole leadership thing has been quietly creeping further and further into my life.

First, there was at church.

I held leadership roles there for about 12 to 14 years. I was Church Historian for a few years, then spent 10 or 11 years as a ministry leader. Eventually, I had to step back because school kept me busy and there just weren’t enough hours in the day.

Then I joined a sorority.

And let me tell you, there are LOTS of leadership opportunities in a sorority.

I became the Sisterhood Director, which meant I had to help everyone get along. No pressure, right? Then, just this past April, I wrapped up my time as Secretary.

But apparently, I wasn’t finished with leadership in the sorority.

A few years ago, I applied for a spot on the sorority’s national board. I got the job and have been working there ever since. Now, I’m even thinking about going for a higher leadership role.

Because why stop now, right?

Speaking of school…

Last summer, my program was looking to hire student workers, actually, they call us student leaders.

Did I apply?

Of course I did.

Did I get the position?

Yep.

And it’s been great!

Then this summer, they came to me with something along the lines of:

“Lizet! How would you like to be a Peer Coach? You’ve been in the program for a while, and you could really help us, our new students, and our current students as we reorganize.”

And apparently my response to being offered more responsibility is, “Sure! Why not?”

So here I am, helping my fellow students navigate their educational journeys—meeting with them one-on-one, helping them work through academic issues and other roadblocks, and connecting them with resources—all while trying to figure out my own journey as I head toward May 2027.

That chapter of my journey is coming to an end.

What comes next?

We’ll worry about that later.

One more school thing, because apparently, my school has decided to join the leadership conspiracy.

One of the classes I’m taking right now is about professional role development within healthcare, and leadership has been a huge part of what we’ve been discussing. The funny thing is that so much of what I’m learning applies far beyond healthcare. Leadership is everywhere. There are never-ending opportunities for someone to step forward, take responsibility, advocate for others, solve problems, or simply say, “Okay, somebody needs to handle this.”

And apparently, that somebody keeps being me.

The funny thing is, I never really considered myself a leader.

At least, not willingly.

I didn’t wake up one morning and announce, “You know what I need? RESPONSIBILITY. Give me people to lead!”

It just sort of...happened.

I accepted one leadership opportunity, then another, then another, and apparently the universe took that as permission to start throwing every leadership opportunity it could find in my general direction.

Church.
Sorority.
National leadership.
School.
Peer coaching.
Leadership coursework.

At some point, I probably have to stop calling all of this a coincidence.

So…

I guess I’m a leader.

Just don’t follow me too closely.

I have been known to get lost a time or two.

Date: 2026-09-15 05:42 am (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
Those last three lines alone tell quite a story (and made me chuckle as a fellow "I have been known to get lost a time or two" person!), but it's really interesting to read about how much you have accomplished! Leadership is helping others here, and I think that's incredible. Thank you for opening up and sharing these achievements and roles with us; I enjoyed reading about them, and learning more about you! <3

Date: 2026-09-15 05:06 pm (UTC)
bsgsix: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bsgsix
It sounds like a lot, so, the dread and good can go hand in hand for certain. Make sure to truly find time for yourself in there, because you have to rest, too! <3

Date: 2026-09-15 06:51 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] imafarmgirl
That all sounds so exhausting. Grin.

Date: 2026-09-15 02:33 pm (UTC)
humanbeansradio: (Default)
From: [personal profile] humanbeansradio
Those called to lead like this have a sacred calling. Those of us who wander about need someone to show us the way!

Date: 2026-09-15 04:04 pm (UTC)
kandigurl: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kandigurl
As long as you’re enjoying it and you can keep all of those balls in the air, soak it up! I get overwhelmed with too much responsibility on my plate and stuff falls through the cracks. It’s impressive you can keep track!

Date: 2026-09-15 04:20 pm (UTC)
adoptedwriter: (Default)
From: [personal profile] adoptedwriter
Congratulations on all of your achievements!

Date: 2026-09-16 12:58 pm (UTC)
pixiebelle: (Default)
From: [personal profile] pixiebelle
I was also in a sorority, and somehow I became social chair. That still surprises me considering I’m an introvert today (or like to think of myself as one).

Like you though, I find myself in leadership positions. Just recently, I thought, “I’d like to make writer friends locally” and asked around. Now I run a writer’s group. They expect me to lead.

So hey, fellow accidental leader :)

Date: 2026-09-16 01:49 pm (UTC)
chasing_silver: (Default)
From: [personal profile] chasing_silver
Sometimes leadership isn't something we choose, it's thrust upon us! I wish you luck with all of that. <3

Date: 2026-09-16 08:22 pm (UTC)
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
I accepted one leadership opportunity, then another, then another, and apparently the universe took that as permission to start throwing every leadership opportunity it could find in my general direction.
Ha, yeah, the way you describe this, it kind of sounds like a bottomless pit. As long as you're happy with the direction your life is taking though, it's all good.

Hopefully I won't offend you, but I have a theory about why your so popular in leadership situations. For people in the 21 to 30 age bracket, my wife and I have noticed that it's REALLY hard to get anyone to take responsibility, show initiative, etc. So, when someone comes along who exhibits those qualities, us old people tend to grab hold of them with both hands. LOL Just sayin' ...

And, getting lost is cool, as long as you eventually get found again. :)

Great entry!

Dan

Date: 2026-09-16 10:10 pm (UTC)
muchtooarrogant: (Default)
From: [personal profile] muchtooarrogant
Ha, you'd think I'd know better than to make assumptions without concrete data to support them. (grin) I think it was the way you spoke about being a student, as well as the first job experience you had, it all seemed recent. (smile) I still stand with my original statement though, people who take responsibility and show up consistently to lead are rare!

Dan

Date: 2026-09-16 08:53 pm (UTC)
penpusher: (Default)
From: [personal profile] penpusher
The best leaders are often the people who aren't seeking out that position, but just have the qualities that others can see within themselves. You clearly have a lot of that and it's very visible to those around you!

But you don't say no, so you have to have some kind of feeling for it, as well! That tells me you certainly are a leader, just maybe not a blow your own horn type! Best!

Date: 2026-09-18 12:30 am (UTC)
drippedonpaper: (Default)
From: [personal profile] drippedonpaper
The best leaders admit that they too can get lost. Sounds like you're doing great and having wonderful experiences. Knowing how to lead helps in many jobs and other experiences.

Good luck :)

Date: 2026-09-18 01:23 am (UTC)
gardeningatnight: (Default)
From: [personal profile] gardeningatnight
It's always interesting to find oneself in unexpected leadership. And, really, I think that often it's the folks who stumble into it who make better leaders than those who are always seeking it.

Date: 2026-09-18 03:18 am (UTC)
reidharriscooper: (Default)
From: [personal profile] reidharriscooper
Good leaders delegate and sit around letting talented people make them look good.
Bad leaders delegate to people who can't do the job so when those people fail they can't take blame.
The best leaders only delegate cause their skills are needed for other tasks.

Date: 2026-09-18 07:17 pm (UTC)
xyla: (Default)
From: [personal profile] xyla
I think you sound like an amazing leader! And congrats on your achievements and successes <3

Date: 2026-09-19 01:28 am (UTC)
bleodswean: (Default)
From: [personal profile] bleodswean
I would agree with you - you ARE a leader! Very unique and special critters - leaders. Keep going!

Date: 2026-09-19 05:02 am (UTC)
roina_arwen: Darcy wearing glasses, smiling shyly (Default)
From: [personal profile] roina_arwen
Some people are born leaders, others have leadership thrust upon them, lol! Sounds like you’re making the most of your skills!

Date: 2026-09-19 12:30 pm (UTC)
inchoatewords: a kawaii bear sitting on a stump with a coffee and pastry (cute)
From: [personal profile] inchoatewords
It sounds like you have a calling! I'm chair of our firm formerly-DEI Committee (we do the same things but can't call it that anymore, ugh) and sometimes it is like herding cats to get people on board. So I really admire folks who can get it all done *smile

Date: 2026-09-20 05:45 pm (UTC)
purplepetrichor: (Default)
From: [personal profile] purplepetrichor
It’s funny - most of the people I know who are truly leaders never set out to be a leader and don’t really think of themselves that way. It sounds like that might be you!

Date: 2026-09-20 06:48 pm (UTC)
halfshellvenus: (Default)
From: [personal profile] halfshellvenus
Intended or not, you've clearly grown comfortable with it! And people seek you out for more. I'll bet you see yourself as being more capable now than you ever thought possible. :)

Date: 2026-09-21 01:19 am (UTC)
From: [personal profile] krispykritter
My last position was at a small college. I loved my students and you remind me so much of a couple of them. Keep leading and learning. It will serve you well. Your entry made me miss the students but certainly not the politics which academia can bring!

Date: 2026-09-21 02:51 am (UTC)
ofearthandstars: A single tree underneath the stars (Default)
From: [personal profile] ofearthandstars
I think it's great to be in leadership positions! I tend to wander in and out of them as I sometimes find the responsibilities to be not quite aligned with where I want to be. But when it is fulfilling, it's such a sweet spot! You sound like you are doing great and that you have more great opportunities to come! ♥

Date: 2026-09-22 12:43 pm (UTC)
n3m3sis43: (Default)
From: [personal profile] n3m3sis43
This resonates with how I've felt about leadership roles when I've found myself in them. I've heard the best leaders don't seek out leadership roles, so hopefully that rings true for you!

Date: 2026-09-22 07:48 pm (UTC)
theycallmepace: (Default)
From: [personal profile] theycallmepace
I think all of the best and worst things just sort of... happen. Taking it in stride is what's important, and I'm glad you're taking it by the horns.

Date: 2026-09-25 12:08 am (UTC)
kizzy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kizzy
Are you my long lost twin? We both have the gift of falling into these type of roles without searching or campaigning for them. Somebody once said to me that we cannot perceive what others see. If others see us as a leader, I guess it means we are even if we're shrouded by self doubt... or, in our case, just happen to to tumble into them.

Re: hahah

Date: 2026-09-25 11:21 am (UTC)
kizzy: (Default)
From: [personal profile] kizzy
I was, and still am horrible at any math apart from the basics. Failed Algebra I twice, passed with a C- in summer school the third time, never took Geometry (I have a feeling I would've been good at it given its my love for visual design), never took Algebra II. My teacher for all three classes labeled me hopeless and a tad *thick* because I didn't understand the logic of all he algebraic systems he taught. I once skipped his class for a week, he discovered I wasn't on the absent list, found me in the smoking area (this was when smoking was still considered cool), and hauled me off to the principal's.

Well, I proved him wrong. I'm obviously not hopeless. I don't know advanced math but I wouldn't call myself a thicky-thicky-dumb-dumb (to quote Cody Dahler on TT) either. I think what happened was growing up and subconsciously realizing that I'm much more than I think I am. I'd say the same for you.

Date: 2026-09-26 08:52 pm (UTC)
littlebitofearth: Victorian woman portrait with three possums. (Default)
From: [personal profile] littlebitofearth
I feel this! At my house we sing the involvement song: “Involvement, involvement, involvement, what a terrible death to die…” For most of my life I’ve wound up in leadership roles, not something I seek out but because I have a lot of passion and energy and I guess, that personality to take charge. It can be really tiring, but it’s also a compliment, right? That’s what I tell myself when I get tired!

Date: 2026-09-27 02:31 am (UTC)
onda_bianca: (Default)
From: [personal profile] onda_bianca
I love the idea that the universe took your first “yes” as permission to keep sending opportunities your way, lol. We all get lost someitmes!

Date: 2026-09-27 01:13 pm (UTC)
lapis_lazuli615: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lapis_lazuli615
I started out as a simple handler. Just someone who enjoyed (and was good at) taking care of celebrities at conventions. And then I started being the one in charge of the group at one convention. And then another group at another convention. Until it got to the point where I had to volunteer at a little regional comicon just to get back to doing what I loved!

I can DO leadership - and apparently well as I have a group of folks that would follow me from one convention to another - I just don't want to. Give me a little job where I can shine and don't have to worry outside of working (or volunteering) hours and I'm SUUUUUPER happy.

This also applies to my regular work as well. :)

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  12345
67 89101112
13 141516171819
20212223 242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 02:20 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios